« Home | Look What I stumbled across.... » | Tag! I'm it...again » | Love Heals All » | 24 » | Aces and Eights » | Why Kids SHOULD NOT Be Left Alone... » | Wet Pussy » | The Rainbow Connection » | Rockstar Ranting » | Sunday Fishing Trip »

Oh What A Night


Last night I played an awesome gig at this place called
the Ri- Ra Room. The What?
…The Ri-Ra Room damn it! Did I stutter? Anyways,
it went sooo well. It was a cover gig, so my band and I were responsible for entertaining the entire night. Normally for this kind of gig, we play from about 10pm until 1:35- ish am. Usually about three 50 min sets of original and cover music. But last night, we only had to play two 1hr. and 10 min sets and still got paid about $500. It was like giving 2 mini concerts in one night...and the crowd was just how I like it. There was a sea of good looking guys and girls in front of my slightly elevated stage…all celebrating Thursday. The day before Friday. We immediately grabbed their attention by starting the night out with You Oughta Know, by Alanis Morissette. I sing the hell out of that song. I’ve been told I sing it better than her (hee,hee). Because it was a bar gig, we had to play mostly covers. So we played 16 covers and 13 originals last night. Our originals blended perfectly with the covers we performed. What covers did we play you ask? Well…

You Oughta Know (Alanis Morisette)
Everything You Want (Vertical Horizon)
Counting Blue Cars (Dishwalla)
Shimmer (Fuel)
Walk Away (Kelly Clarkson)
Time After Time (Cindy Lauper)
I Alone (Live)
Crazy (Seal)
Ironic (Alanis Morisette)
Everlong (Foo Fighters)
Underneath It All (No Doubt)
Unwritten (Natash Bettingfield(sp?))
Don’t Let Me Get Me (Pink)
Waterfalls (TLC)
Zombie (The Cranberries)


All of the songs went over REALLY well. A few people said that they didn’t even realize a band was playing until they came downstairs for a beer because they thought it was the jukebox or the radio. Compliments like that are what you work so hard for.

A few random things happened last night as well…

…There is always someone who requests a song. Usually we lie and say…”maybe next time.” But this time, some guy came up to us immediately after out first set and asked if we could play any TenaciousD.
WTF?




I couldn’t even lie. I just said “NO.”

I mean, I love them and all, but….








NO.





…and then there was THAT GUY who yelled out “FREEBIRD.” Over the microphone I asked him how it felt to be THAT GUY for the evening.

All his friends laughed…

…and then there was this other guy who I noticed while on stage performing. He was very into our music but was scratching away on a napkin with a pen. I wondered what he was doing. Whatever it was, he seemed to be moving to the vibe of the music…
After the set, he approached me, full of compliments and a hand full of balled up napkins. I asked him what was in his hand and he apprehensively said “Oh, just something I was drawing…” “Can I see it? Please?” “Sure.” He said. “If you really want. But it’s not that good.” To my surprise, this is what he was carving into a plain, lonely, bar napkin…

In case you can't tell...it's a picture of me! I immediately expressed my pleasure and asked him to sign it. If you look closely, the guy wrote in parentesis (not impressed w/ drawing). Poor guy...I told him that I thought it was great, espcecially since I was moving around the whole time.



We are all our own worst critics.

I hope that I bombarded Kevin with enough compliments to inspire him keep on drawing.

God knows that his compliments inspired me to keep on singing.

...Oh what a night...

Excellent baby! Ha Ha!! Cool picture too. There's a British artist called Ian Gibson, did a lot of work for the comic 2000AD (most famous for The Ballad of Halo Jones)...the picture looks a bitlike his stuff :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Gibson_(artist)

That guy can draw!!! Love to hear you do Time After Time. Cyndi Lauper is a Goddess.

thats a great piccy i bet u sound great 2

Post a Comment